Pages

Sunday 7 February 2010

Umbilical

This was written by Garry Fisher, twitter name @himupnorth, and posted on his blog on 7th Feb 2010

Eighteen, a boy and yet a man the same
Embark you must on new experience
So tall and wonderful you fast became
And now I face an enforced estrangement

As you leave to find new worlds of learning
I too must learn a lesson yet ignored
That hands of time relentlessly turning
Mete out an ever elongated cord

It's just damned hard, for you were my first born
First fed, first weaned, first schooled, first everything
But now, my love, the lines are all redrawn
And independence seems so alluring

And so you go, but here still reminding
The love, the bond, the cord twixt us binding


Tonight I was talking with a friend about the fast approaching reality that her oldest son would be going off to university in autumn, god and grades willing. Later, talking about blogs, I was challenged to write a sonnet. It's a verse form which has fallen out of favour and is challenging to conform to. But as I said, I like a challenge. So, as promised, a sonnet about the aforementioned friend, but inspired by a son heading out into the world.

No comments: